18 January, 2014

7 days of blush. The summer edit...


After years of being blush shy nowadays I love blush but have a habit of reaching for the same one over and over (see that one with the major pan showing above?) That's the reason why I deliberately wore 7 unique blushes over 7 days to kick that habit! This isn't a unique idea but it's the first time I've tried something like this outside of swapping lipstick shades - and it IS a fun way of acquainting or reacquainting myself with some of my blush collection. 
 
My week's selection of powder blushes...

 
...clockwise from top left:
  • Australis blush (Baby Doll) - Now discontinued so that gives you an idea of how long it's been sitting in my makeup drawer.  Baby Doll is a vibrant almost electric, ever so slightly shimmery pink in the pan yet it imparts a pretty, healthy flush to the cheeks. I bought it because it looked so pretty, then decided it was scary, and now having actually worn it (Duh!) I really should have trusted my first instincts.  Bright pink blush actually translates as amazing on the cheeks! The funny thing is I already did know that because I'm often reaching for the bright pink blush in my Laura Mercier Lingerie palette (see here).
  • Face of Australia (Nutmeg) - FOA still carry this blush in their core line so I'm not in trouble here.  Nutmeg is a medium brown-peach and a great natural looking way to warm up the complexion when I'm wearing cool toned shades on my eyes and/or lips - if it was slightly less peach I think it could work as a contour shade too.  An obvious choice for every day wear so I've decided to bring this one out on high rotation again.
  • L'Oreal True Match Blush (Nude Pink) - My favourite every day shade as you can see by all the bare pan and because it sits on the fence of contour/blush/highlight perfectly.  The pink is a very neutral and dusty beige shade and there are - yes really - pearlescent particles in the formula, giving a natural glow to the cheeks.  I was probably cheating by including my go-to blush in the 7 day rotation but then again you probably want to know what my go-to blush is right?  Okay so a blush which does a little bit of everything is a good everyday choice for me and I'm planning on using this one regularly to the very end because it's the fool-proof understated blush of the lot.
  • theBalm (Hot Mama!) - theBalm describes this blush as pinky-peach but I think of it as almost rose-gold as it has a lot of golden shimmer.  I was a little hesitant thinking it might be unnaturally shimmery on me but with a light application it's not out there at all.  I wore it as a weekday blush but with a heavier application I think it would come into its own as a shimmery cheek shade for evening.
  • Smashbox Blush Rush (Chiffon) -  Another one I've had for ages and just doesn't get enough attention from me.  I go through phases where I love it then suddenly it's too bright for me - infinitely better on summer skin when I have a little more colour.  Chiffon is similar to Hot Mama! a bright peach although minus the same level of gold sheen. It goes with any eye or lip but can look a bit garish on me when I'm sporting my cooler weather pallor.   
  • Illamasqua (Naked Rose) - I love this blush because it's a cool dusty matte pink and probably the most true matte blush in my collection.  In the pan it looks very similar to L'Oreal's Nude Pink but it is more distinctly pink when swatched.  It's very pigmented and powdery so a little pat of the brush in the pan easily picks up enough colour for my cheeks.  Very natural without being too neutral.  I think this would work equally well, if not better on pale winter cheeks too.
  • Tom Ford (Love Lust) - Coral, with fine gold sparkle and not as scary as it may sound.  I've only worn it once - being precious because it's Tom F-F-Ford probably - but seriously it's coming out for a good airing this season because this is such a flattering coral on my skin and most definitely a summer shade. The sparkle is more subtle than I expected on my cheeks and a light application provided a lovely hint of warmth. 
Swatched L -R:
Baby Doll, Nutmeg, Nude Pink, Chiffon, Naked Rose, Love Lust

 
What are your summer blush picks?

27 comments:

  1. I can see why that nude pink shade is so well loved! The swatch is stunning :)


    Sarah | More Than Adored

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it because it covers all my needs and doesn't scream BLUSH!

      Delete
  2. I've just taken photos for a cheek post just like this, great minds think alike! Though my picks are much much brighter than yours, and mainly crème blushes this time around too. I love the look of that Tom Ford, ooh la la

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds indeed!

      I'll be very interested in seeing your picks - I have quite a few crème blushes in my collection which I've accumulated without even thinking! Probably enough to justify another post, lol!

      Delete
  3. Oooh they are all so pretty. After lip products, blush is my favourite type of makeup, but like you I tend to reach for the same one all the time despite having a vast array to choose from. This post has inspired me to change it up a bit :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never used to have a lot of blush but it's grown on me! Lol

      It's so easy to grab for the same thing, especially early in the morning but I'm making more of a conscious effort to reach for different things since doing this post.

      Delete
  4. Ohh this is a great idea Vita! I've been having the same problem, I reach for the exact same blusher every time.. oops! I seriously want that Tom Ford one :|

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So easy to do huh? The TF blush is beautiful and I am going to show it some real appreciation by using it!

      Delete
  5. What a great idea! Love that tom ford shade! I stick to the same couple of blushes...I should give this a try (although I probably have enough to do two weeks!) lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! Two weeks of different blush would be so fun too! I know what you mean though - I think we instinctively stick to the safest shades on a day to day basis :)

      Delete
  6. Love nude pink and naked rose. This is an excellent idea.
    I am completely to be blamed for getting into a rut with all of my products ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be a common theme here! We love collecting them all but we stick to the same tried and true things every day :)

      Delete
  7. I hoard blushes too :) Love Lust looks beautiful <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blush pans are so pretty aren't they! Now I understand why people hoard them :)

      Delete
  8. BLUSH hahaha! I love all of these! I need to pull out my TF too. It's true with that one-you get scared to use it because it was so much! But it's SO pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think of you Tracy when I put on my blush because you are the original blush fiend! Let's make a pact here and now to give our TF blushes the love they deserve ;)

      Delete
  9. Ahhhh, a blush post is just so... refreshing! :D

    Everything's so soft and lovely - bet you look great in all of them! I'd pick some darker colours because my face gets quite tanned in the summer and I always fall in love with punchy orangey things. I want to come back to this post and look at it during spring when I'm still pale and soft colours look more appealing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! I'm such a pale chick even in the summer! I do have some brighter shades so I really need to get more adventurous :)

      Delete
  10. Ah blushes... *drools*
    Love your collection here! I haven't tried Tom Ford yet. I put it in my shopping cart, but didn't checkout. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everybody gets a little intimidated by TF but I say - do it!!

      Delete
  11. I swear I commented! But maybe not? I swear I did! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erm - I couldn't find anything in the spam folder. Guess you didn't! Lol

      Delete
  12. I went to click on the title of your post to read it, but clicked on the first photo instead.
    It went big. And wowza! My eyes! Beautiful blushes, big beautiful blushes in my face. My eyes are drinking it up, baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photo would make the best desktop wallpaper. I can't do that though as I'd spend more time staring at your blush than working. :D

      Delete
    2. Lol! Comments like yours make me so happy!!!

      Delete
  13. I normally almost always use the BECCA beach tints in Summer (watermelon & raspberry) for my blush, but at times would succumb to the Australis cosmetics Blush BFF - it's nice and light but adds a cheeky rosy highlight to my cheeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watermelon is such a perfect cheek shade! I know I need Raspberry in my life too!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...