12 May, 2013

EOTD: ModelCo Island Fever trio palette

I've been playing it safe with eye looks lately so I haven't done anything post-worthy for a while but finally(!) I've broken out of my neutral rut.  I got an interesting eyeshadow trio from Australian beauty brand ModelCo in a promotional show bag I bought at the Royal Melbourne Show last year and now I've decided to break it out of its box and play with some serious colour on my eyes!


As this look is based almost entirely on the ModelCo Eyeshadow Trio palette in Island Fever I've taken the opportunity to do a mini review of this palette before getting into the details of my EOTD look.

 Island Fever

The Island Fever palette is made up of a colourful combination of two shimmers and a darker matte shade. From left these are:  Costa Rica (a neutral beige shimmer which is something I personally can't be without in my makeup collection), Positano (a vivid turquoise shimmer which was the shade I was the most intrigued by and I guess nervous about) and Tahiti (described as matte midnight navy, perfect for use as a liner or to create a deep blue smokey eye).  You can see how the interesting mix of shades offers the choice of playing it safe and neutral with a just a hint of colour accent or going all out with a deep, yet vivid smokey eye.

When doing the initial swatching I was impressed with the smooth application of these shadows, the lack of fallout and the depth of pigment, particularly that of matte Tahiti.  These swatches are two swipes on bare skin.

Swatched from top:
Costa Rica, Positano, Tahiti

My play it safe instincts would have me immediately going for a neutral beige eye using the dark matte shade as a coloured liner but I opted to make Positano the focus of my look, and applied it all over my lids while incorporating the other two shades for highlight and definition.  It's not something I'd automatically choose to wear but I did like the way the turquoise Positano seemed to brighten my eyes:






What I applied and where:
  • Bloom Eye Base blended all over lid and crease
  • Positano brushed all over lid and blended in crease. I also used it as a coloured liner on the inner third of the lower lash line
  • Costa Rica on inner corner of lids and brushed lightly over browbones
  • Tahiti on outer corners of lids and outer lower lash line
  • Mirenesse Tight Liner Hydra Gel Eye Liner (Caviar Black) drawn all along the upper lash line for definition, with Tahiti applied over it with a pencil brush to soften the line
  • Bourjois Volume Glamour Ultra Curl Mascara (Black) on upper lashes and outer lower lashes

Have you tried ModelCo products?

16 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!! I love these shadows and the look. Way to go, Vita. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz :)

      I love it when an experiment works!

      Delete
  2. I love how bright the colours are, and your eyes definitely popped. Lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lily! I wasn't sure whether the turquoise would work with or against my green eyes but it actually made them seem brighter :)

      Delete
  3. You should do your eyes like this more often.
    You've inspired me to play with these colours tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Boo! I certainly broke out of my rut here! Have fun playing :D

      Delete
  4. Vita, like you, I always stick to colours I'm comfortable with but man you've showed me that you can play with these blues and (is it green?) beautifully. Or maybe because it's on you?? You look fab as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Norlin :)

      The turquoise is a cool-toned green and - yep - I did wear this look out of the house! I encourage you to play with colour. You might be surprised! And, if it doesn't work, heck it's only makeup and it washes straight off!

      Delete
  5. These really give a brightening effect to the eyes and make them look more alive and awake! You wore those colours beautifully :) The shadows themselves look really luminous and soft. I had one of those trios that came free with a magazine but I wasn't too thrilled with it (though there wasn't anything particularly bad about it), so I think I chucked it out one day when I was feeling quite ruthless with emptying out unwanted/unloved products from my collection :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you xo

      Hahaha! I remember seeing the magazine freebies :)

      You know I was wondering what the hell to do with this palette for the longest time because it wasn't a typical 'me' choice - I'm all about purples, browns or cool neutrals - but I have to say it surprised me too!

      Delete
  6. I LOVE THIS. The colors are gorgeous, and they totally make your beautiful eyes glow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Larie! I don't know what else to say but thank you! xo

      Delete
  7. I was just telling Ling1 that you photograph eyeshadow really well.
    I really cannot! I tried everything, indoors, outdoors.. different cameras. Doesn't do it justice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thanks Ling! :)

      I'm sure you're just being your own worst critic.

      It's taken a lot of trial and error and I can tell you that I take LOTS of pictures to try and get enough for a post. I do all of my selfies indoors and away from direct sunlight.

      Delete
  8. Your eyes GLOW with these shades! SO PRETTY!! LOVE that pistachio shade especially on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracy! I remember loving your mint green eye look and it inspired me to try something different :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...